03/23/09 04:54 - 34ºF - ID#48166
War Child, plus four
So, at the risk of starting one of these threads where everyone bashes everyone else's muscial tastes...
I've been listening to (in no particular order):
1. The new Morrissey record, "Years of Refusal" (great show last week too)
2. The most recent Death Cab for Cutie record, "Narrow Stairs"
3. The new Franz Ferdinand CD "Tonight" (unfortunately narrowly missed these guys in London....grr)
4. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Fever to Tell"
5. War Child presents "Heroes"
The fifth one is a compilation of songs--all remakes--sold (apparently) to benefit children in war-torn countries. The original artists, who are iconic rock artists, choose a performer or band from "the younger generation" to remake one of their classic songs. Beck does a fantastic version of Dylan's "Brand New Leopardskin Pillbox Hat," Hot Chip does a groovy take on Joy Division's "Transmission," The Hold Steady does their best impersonation of the Boss on "Atlantic City," Franz Ferdinand does a great version of Blondie's "Call Me," TV on the Radio reinterprets Bowie's "Heroes," etc. Lily Allen and Mick Jones's remake of the Clash's "Straight to Hell" has been stuck in my head for two weeks. There's other great stuff on there too (complete list of tracks here: ). Highly recommended!
So, what are you listening to? What are your current Top Five?
My Fav Posts
- This user has zero favorite blogs selected ;(