Category: world news
03/28/07 11:01 - 39ºF - ID#38673
Iran: Britain must admit to tresspassing
Iran has given the United Kingdom an ultimatum. Britain must admit to illegally entering Iranian waters before 15 sailors and marines detained on on March 23, 2007 are to be released.
03/22/07 11:25 - 43ºF - ID#38586
Wikinews.org proposes WNN TV
Since I have began editing and writing news articles for that site, Many users have come forward with a great interest in creating the Wiki News Network. If this were to be established, we would eventually be broadcasting on TV, but of course, like most things, it has to be started slow, but include big ideas. You can also visit here: Click -> About WNN
Click -> Wiki News Network Discussion
Click -> Wikinews: Broadcast With information and pilot episode
Some of the ways that Wikinews.org could broadcast to the World, other than writing articles is something along the lines of a PodCast or YouTube. Remember start small, think big.
We are also discussing just hosting the days headlines or news broadcasts on the site itself.
But with all big ideas comes problems and we have several. Some are big issues, others ar not so bad. Here are the problems in why we can't, at this very moment, start WNN:
1) The money. We are a user based site and everything that goes on the site is in some way user contributed in one form or another and that stuff does NOT cost money. The site is free to write and free to browse and upload and edit. So Wikinews.org has no means of profit. With that said, Wikinews is operated under the authority of the Wikimedia Foundation. The foundation just had a fundraiser and raised nearly 2 million dollars to keep the Wiki sites up and running, not that the money is really needed though.
Resolution: Ask the foundation for a grant or a loan. A grant would be the more reasonable and logical way as since none of the "Wikinewsies" aka reporters do NOT get paid for any of the work we do, we would not really able to repay loans since there is no profit or money. So we can turn to private investors, or in other words: YOU! But how would you be able to do that? Well we are not sure yet either as any donations currently made to the Foundation goes to all Wikis, not just to Wikinews.
2) Equipment. We have no TV cameras or regular cameras or a studio or anything to that nature as a whole. We do have however, the individual resources from all users on Wikinews. They report the news and sometimes even in the field: See reports by a Wikinews Journalist who reported LIVE from Las Vegas, Nevada about the Wendy's chili finger case:
Click -> Wendy's Chili Finger Incident part 1
Click -> Wendy's Chili Finger Incident part 2
We even have a Click -> WNN Pilot Episode
You can also see a collection of Original Reporting, in the field journalism by ME about the hotel proposal here in Buffalo, New York:
Click -> Elmwood Village Hotel Proposal Articles
These are examples of what kind of equipment, resources and capabilities a single journalist has for this site, and I am not the only one. HAve equipment and an interest? Help us :)
Basically what I am trying to do is stir interest to anyone and everyone. If you can help, or have any ideas regarding this project, please visit the discussion on WNN and voice what you think or what you might be able to do to help. You do NOT have to be a member of Wikinews or a user or have to sign up to make comments, but it is helpful.
Click ->WNN Discussion
Have any ideas for me? Just comment here in my blog.
03/22/07 04:41 - 54ºF - ID#38554
Impact crater found in California
Researchers in San Joaquin County, California have discovered what appears to be a massive impact crater made by an asteroid nearly 50 million years ago, while exploring the area for possible oil deposits. The period in which it struck the Earth, say researchers, is called the (WIKIPEDIA - Eocene) Epoch.
Images from a seismic survey has shown the crater is nearly 6 kilometers wide, buried under sediment at nearly 4,300 feet and may even still contain the asteroid which is said to inside the crater nearly 10 miles below the Earth's surface.
Copyright: www.wikinews.org using the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 license.
02/09/07 12:40 - 20ºF - ID#38087
Atwater House is gone
02/08/07 02:56 - 19ºF - ID#38069
Good Bye History: The Atwater House
The appeals court has said that the Atwater house is NOT in a historic area nor is the house itself historic and the judge ruled the city did not consider those circumstances when denying the demolition permit for a certain someone to expand their restaurant.
Now here is the interesting part.
1) The Atwater House was the first house built on that block on this end of Elmwood, as discovered by maps at the Erie County and Buffalo Historical Society on Elmwood and Nottingham Tr.
2) As reported by Wikinews The Atwater house, before it was the "Atwater house" was formaly known as the John C Hill Hotel, which was in operation during the Pan Am Exposition of 1901 (research done at the Historical Society), which also means that the owner of the house could easily make it into ie: bed and breakfast or something.
3) Recently, in the past few years, an old oil company was unearthed in an archaeological dig in the Erie Canal in Downtown Buffalo that was owned and operated by Edward Atwater who founded the first oil company in Buffalo and also was owner and live in resident of the Atwater house, also reported by Wikinews.
All this information has been ignored by the courts and in fact no one has bothered to even research this property as much as I have. I would not be surprised if no one has even researched the deed on the Atwater house. If Svarino stopped the hotel based on deds that said no businesses, hotels of "anykind whatsoever" then I wonder what the Atwater house deeds say??
In any event, it seems that the fight is over. But if you think a petition would help, someone has set up one on petition.com, which was there during 2003ish when the battle first begun, Sign it to save the Atwater house:
I am not sure who started it but it needs to be updated. Please sign it and spread the link as far as you can.
My Fav Posts
- This user has zero favorite blogs selected ;(