07/28/12 03:52- ID#56644
I guess it is a sign that Iâ€™m getting older that it is taking a bit for an ankle injury(pulled tendons above my achilles) to recover for me. Age and the fact that resting it is a little dull. The needs of my job need me to do some ambling around, making me the Dr. House of marketing. A couple folks see me coming with a â€œstill limping, thereâ€ observation. Thatâ€™s helpful as I wasnâ€™t noticing. Powered my way through our recent benefit which I think would fry the healthy cortex of Schartzeneggarian proportions. You know youâ€™re doddering a bit when both your mom and daughter present you with ankle braces.
Itâ€™s funny what can slow you down. My building has a set of stair cases that thankfully after five years, I donâ€™t think much aboutâ€¦.till now. You have to be careful when you think about how you plant your foot a bit and that nearly induced, vertigo I guess. Iâ€™m part of a great team and one of the kind souls reorganized our group to â€œget Mike off the stairs.â€ That made me feel both really great and sort of pitiful.
Iâ€™ve never been a jock of any kind to speak of, but take a degree of pride in doing my share, toting my barge, lifting my bale, doing for the team (â€œTEAM, TEAMâ€).
I made sure I wasnâ€™t screwing anything else upItâ€™s going away, but three weeks off from heavy lifting events will help, but the nerves can repair sooner.
I wouldnâ€™t mind.
Last Modified: 07/28/12 03:52
12/03/09 10:17- ID#50446
It's the book in digital, page turning form.
Nice ego boost headed into the weekend.
10/11/09 05:50- ID#49987
Alright, universe, you win
My phone rings with my eldest saying her friend who actually went in for surgery on Friday, wanted to catch a movie that night for being laid up. Since the two of them had the good taste to pick the Ricky Gervais movie, I relented. Right at the same time, the 15 year old accepted an invite from a selfish friend and a ride without checking with me, or her mom out of town, or well anybody. This would have left the mighty number one son to fend for himself. I was not cool with that. Apparently, I can be pretty scary, as I told her she doesn't leave until I get there. "But so and so are already on their way" In my best Will Arnett/Alec Baldwin voice, I replied I didn't care.
Having read the riot act in that voice, I sent her on her way with the warning that if we have this discussion like this again, it will end in her not going anywhere.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking.
Having reasserted my Dad-itude, I was almost ready for Friday. I hadn't written about it for fear of jinxing something, but I struck up two friendships in late July early August with two women around my age. One is a platonic sort of thing, we get together once in awhile and enjoy having a modicum of a social life -- but she was clear about a nonromantic thing and that was fine. The other resulted in a fix up from an old college acquaintance and I guess my radar must be off for such matters. That seemed to be scooting along in precisely the right direction. We had a good time, seeing a couple of shows, had similar outlooks, enjoyed some of the same stuff, I even charmed her daughters. I'm thinking, yee ha, finally, been awhile and all that. Might even have a date for the (e:Ladycroft) nuptials. Room for perhaps a little optimism. But, no.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
I get this note yesterday. The ex and I went to dinner, had drinks.....blah, blah, blah madeuphangovercakes. For crying outloud, I know shit happens and it ain't the end of the world, but just like the moment your hair starts to grey you should be zit proof, there should be an age moratorium for games playing. There ought to be some cosmic ordinance that mandates a distinct cutoff in crapola in relationships. You'd think people who've been through kids, failed marriages, etc would be immune or at the very least a little sick of the nonsense.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking woodgrain alcohol.
As the song goes, alone again naturally.
And then, that football game today?? what the hell was that? If you are on twitter, follow Daryltalley and pthomas, funniest parts of an abysmal piece of tv.
Got to get some hockey tickets soon.
10/07/09 10:25- ID#49958
MrMike's Mental Meltdown
The young man is bunking on my couch, while the girls are holding court at the house. They get a little taste of responsibility and independence, but close enough I can smell the smoke. The kids and I fall into a pretty great flow and as everytime their mom goes away, she returns to see all three still alive, fed, etc, so I think I'm doing pretty good.
We're in day 2 of a 3 day stint. My mother in law calls and wonders "What are they doing for dinner?", meaning the girls. Now, she is one of the most giving, good hearted souls that I know, but the way she managed to ask the question felt like somebody starting pouring bourbon in an open wound on me.
I sat there in my car outside number one son's guitar lesson and just ate that feeling of upset. I know she didn't mean anything but the way it sounded was nausea inducing, like I was less of a parent because I don't reside at the house anymore or that my parenting involvement is suspect since my ex is out of town. "Can he handle it without the former Mrs?' I sat there in a numbed stupor texting this to the lovely mother of my children who talked me back down. I don't know if it is a feeling of spinning my wheels a little bit at work or just remembering what it was like in the eye of the gossip hurricane at our church a few years ago or just being overtired in general. But I needed a moment.
She called, we chatted, and I felt better after initially feeling worse. I started to tell a tale and couldn't get to the end of it. What makes that silly is what provoked it was nothing by comparison to some of the sins that I've already strode through. I'm not sure if that is making any sense. I know my Mom-in-law wasn't out to upset, just to help, but sometimes something benign can start a whole sordid turn. I vented, I baked (cookies) and am better now.
Show's over, move along folks...
02/03/07 07:26- ID#37994
Can you see the real me, Can ya, Can ya?
1. The phone rings. Who do you want it to be?
Someone calling me for work.
2. When shopping at the grocery store, do you return your cart?
all of the time. I used to do cart retrieval when I worked at Bells Markets. I feel their pain.
3. In a social setting, are you more of a talker or a listener?
4. Do you take compliments well?
like a pro
5. Do you play Sudoku?
Don't know how
6. If abandoned alone in the wilderness, would you survive?
lord no, I'd get eaten by a bear or something on the first day
8. Did you ever go to camp as a kid?
Boy scout camp, .
9. What was your favorite game as a kid?
Life. I think it the spinner that set it apart
10. If a sexy person was pursuing you, but you knew he/she was married, would you?
12. Could you date someone with different religious beliefs than you?
I have, and no big whoop.
13. Do you like to pursue or be pursued?
Depends on the "Hunt"
14. Use three words to describe yourself?
interesting, intelligent, incisive
15. Do any songs make you cry?
Real World by Bruce Springsteen
16. Are you continuing your education?
17. Do you know how to shoot a gun?
18. If your house was on fire, what would be the first thing you grabbed?
My brother's old toy chimes
19. How often do you read books?
Constantly, night stand is top heavy
20. Do you think more about the past, present or future?
21. What is your favorite children's book?
"Goodnight Opus" by Berke Breathed
22. What color are your eyes?
23. How tall are you?
24. Where is your dream house located?
Standlin Point, Ontario.
25. Best vacay ever?
26. Coolest picture?
of me?? still lookin
27. Have you ever taken pictures in a photo booth
Yes, every time it's actually working at Frizzy's.
28. When was the last time you were at Olive Garden?
Wow, I can't even answer that...early 2006?
29. How about the movies?
The Departed, a few weeks ago at the Market Arcade
30. Where was the furthest place you traveled today?
Home to my son's gym -- interesting trip today
32. Do you like mustard?
33. Do you prefer to sleep or eat?
34. Do you look like your mom or dad?
Put Mom's face on Dad's skull
35. How long does it take you in the shower?
8 minutes. Exactly.
36. Can you do a split?
Not without making a decidely girlish noise
37. What movie do you want to see right now?
Not sure. On Demand is working better than the theater at the moment
39. What did you do for New Year's?
Beheld the wonder that is a party at PMT's
40. Do you think The Grudge was scary?
41. Do you laugh a lot?
All the time. My laugh is one of my favorite parts of me.
42. Do you own a camera phone?
No, I did, but it died with my last plant
44. Was your mom a cheerleader?
45. What's the last letter of your middle name?
46. how many hours of sleep do you get a night?
5ish...wish it was 8ish
47. Do you watch MTV?
I like the MTV HD channel, they show videos
48. Do you like care bears?
49. What do you buy at the movies?
Popcorn at the Market Arcade. Regal, not so sure
50. Do you know how to play poker?
yes I do.
51. Do you wear your seatbelt?
All the time, except in the backseat.
52. What do you wear to sleep?
whatever I fall asleep wearing.
53. Anything big ever happen in your hometown?
The Joan Diver stuff was about a mile from my folks house
54. How many meals do you eat a day?
55. Is your tongue pierced?
56. Do you always read MySpace bulletins?
57. Most visited webpage?
58. Do you like funny or serious people better?
a little of both
59. Ever been to L.A.?
I have. It's a disappointment. San Diego was so much nicer
60. Did you eat a cookie today?
Yes, and now I want more
61. Do you use cuss words in other languages?
The Gaelic ones
62. Do you steal or pay for your music downloads?
I'm a good boy these days
63. Do you hate chocolate?
I prefer dark chocolate. Nothing can touch a dark chocolate areo bar.
64. What do you and your parents fight about the most?
They're pretty quiet these days
65. Are you a gullible person?
I guess, maybe, I dunno. What do you think
66. Do you need a boyfriend/girlfriend to be happy?
No, but a crush would be nice. been awhile
67. If you could have any job (assuming you have the skills) what would it be?
68. Are you easy to get along with?
69. What is your favorite time of day?
5:31 pm. I can be me then