01/30/07 06:30- ID#37926
11/27/06 08:11- ID#25021
- 55+ish male, works in psychology/social science/education, loves to read
- 25ish female, also works in the psychology field, lives in a much warmer climate than WNY
- late 20s professional couple
- my grandma & grandpa, who are awesome, but their Christmas wishlist is generally just "we want all you kids to be happy, don't buy anything."
I love (e:jenks) ' Heifer international idea, but I don't think any of the above would fully appreciate it.
10/26/06 10:02- ID#25018
Shame on him.
And when I see stem-cell research opponents showing as much concern for children once they are born in comparison to growing cellular tissue in a petri dish, I might have some respect for their views.
And shame on CBS for such a misleading lede on their web site, summarizing Michael J. Fox's interview on the CBS Evening News
"Fox: I was Over-Medicated in Stem Cell Ad."
I would draw anyone's attention to the fact that without his medication, at this point in the disease's progression, that man would be unable to speak.
10/14/06 03:28- ID#25017
(a dented car roof/car door and spoiled food in the fridge will, hopefully, be the extent of our damage).
- candles, matches and a lighter. Duh. When it's dark, you need to be able to see what you're doing. Flashlights (a super-heavy duty one, a headlamp that runs on rechargeable batteries, and one of those "shakeable" flashlights that runs on a magnet are also in our light arsenal.)
- an inverter for the car. When I had to go out to update the college home page in the dark, and in 12 inches of snow, it was convenient, relatively, to drag a surge protector and my 'puter to have the car with the inverter at my disposal. It's absolutely vital for charging cell phones and rechargeable batteries, too.
- cell phones and chargers. I'd never seen the inside of a telephone wire outside of a textbook before yesterday.
- notepad and pen. Good for taking down info, making lists of things to buy, and doodling while wasting away the cold, dark hours. I have a moleskine. Keeping the emergency numbers for local police, NiMo and the gas company are also a good idea.
- Radio. While you can go for the kind that runs on batteries, we prefer the kind that you windup/crank, with a battery option.
- Camera - disposable or one w/ recharge batteries. Great for taking pictures of incredible snow drifts or damage to your car/house.
- shovels. I was saddened to see so many people trying to dig out their cars with brooms and dustpans. People: those don't work nearly as well as small garbage cans and large tupperware containers. This weekend we invested in a complete car emergency kit ($20 at wallyworld) that includes a collapsable shovel.
- clean water for drinking and washing, plus water for pets. I filled up a bunch of jugs with water as soon as the power went out.
- snacks. Chips and salsa are good, as are granola bars, pb&j sandwiches, canned fruit, applesauce, crackers, s'mores (substitute marshmellow fluff for the marshmellow). If you have access to a grill, propane or otherwise (use it outside, people!), cook up your soon-to-be-spoiled meat, heat water for some rice or ramen, or just hope there's a pizza place within walking distance that's open. (Just pizza on Main had power as of yesterday afternoon).
- an alternative place to crash. Enough said.
10/10/06 08:30- ID#25016
09/18/06 05:41- ID#25014
It's gently used, all the cards are in good condition, and it contains all the original pieces in a super-cool, metal box that's shaped like a TP "wedge."
I'll give this away to a worthy (e:peep) - just plan to meet me at a convenient place (like spot) and buy me a cookie or similar treat.
08/03/06 08:58- ID#25007
Snakes on a Plane
I love the viral marketing part of this, but even more than that, I love that the producers and marketers are taking such a lead from the Internets in how they promote this film. Make no mistake - this movie will not be winning any Academy Awards. But does it matter?
07/25/06 08:41- ID#25004
06/23/06 08:22- ID#24998
I love my coop
Today is also special, as it is Take your Pet to Work day
05/05/06 11:45- ID#24984
What I'm reading
Gluten Free Girl - not because I want to be on a gluten-free diet - I love flour - but because a diet based on veggies and fruits, especially with summer and farmer's markets just around the corner, is appealing to me.
Ireland.com - for obvious reasons.
My Fav Posts
- This user has zero favorite blogs selected ;(